Hereford Inlet Lighthouse . New Jersey . Watercolor . 12" x 16"
... The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is located in North Wildwood, New Jersey. The Hereford Lighthouse was designed by West Coast architect, Paul J. Pelz
and constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1874. The lighthouse suffered severe hurricane damage in 1913 and was subsequently moved 150 feet
to the west in 1914. In 1938 it was threatened and saved from a fire. It was decommissioned in 1962 and remained closed until 1986, when it was taken over
by the town, restored and in 2003, repainted back to it's heritage paint scheme, by the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse Commission and is once again a fully
functioning lighthouse and open for tours. The lighthouse grounds are also home to a very extensive botanical garden.