| Sodus Bay Lighthouse . Sodus Point . Lake Ontario . New York . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... there are currently two lighthouses standing at Sodus Point. The first, which no longer exists, was a conical tower with an adjacent frame keeper's house,
built in 1825 and demolished following irreparable deteriation in 1871. Illustrated is the second lighthouse... now known as the Sodus Bay Lighthouse. As the first
was removed in 1871... this newer and stronger, cast iron tower was erected with an attached lightkeeper's house... all covered in Kingston limestone. This lighthouse
was decommissioned in 1901, listed on the National Registy of Historic Places in 1977 and reopened as the Sodus Bay Lighthouse Museum in 1984. The third Sodus
lighthouse built in 1895, which also still exists, is a tapered square tower called the Sodus Outer Light and is located out in the Sodus Bay of Lake Ontario, at the end
of a long pier. Each lighthouse is within view of each other from each location.