| Port Bickerton Lighthouse . Nova Scotia . Canada . Watercolor . 12" x 16"
... the original Port Bickerton lighthouse was built in 1901 and burned to the ground in the late 1920's. This second Port Bickerton Lighthouse, located
on Barachois Head, was built in 1930. In 1947 it too was nearly destroyed, as a fire starting in Fishermen's Harbour, burned it's way to the lighthouse.
The lighthouse was saved with minimal damage to the roof. In 1948 an adjacent fog horn with it's own engine building was built several hundred feet to
the east. The Bickerton Lighthouse lantern remained as an oil fired light until it was replaced by an electric unit in 1962. Although the fog horn reamians
active, the lighthouse itself, was decommissioned in the 1990's and in 1997, became a museum and the Port Bickerton Lighthouse Interpretive Centre.
To the left of this view are a few more buildings... the largest, the old Keeper's House, has been converted into a retreat for an "Artist-in-Residence" Program.
This would be a great place to live and paint... anyway... this is how she looks during our visit in 2012.