| Olcott Lighthouse . Lake Ontario . New York . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... this is a replica of the light originally located at the mouth of Eighteen Mile Creek (18 miles east of the Niagara River) in New York. The original, 32-1/2 foot tall,
Olcott Lighthouse was built in 1873 on one end of a pair of 880 foot piers, extending into Lake Ontario. In 1930 a simple pole light was installed roughly 26 feet
further north of the existing light location, the old wooden, clap board light tower was relocated to shore for use by a yacht club and the lantern was shipped off
for use elsewhere. By 1963 the wooden tower had deteriorated beyond repair and was dismantled. In 2003, the Olcott Lighthouse Society began an accurate,
full scale, reconstruction project and built the reproduction that exists now. This is how she looks during our visit in 2009.