Marblehead Lighthouse #2 . Sandusky Bay . Lake Erie . Ohio . Watercolor . 10" x 16"
... a 50-foot tall limestone tower was located on the point of the Marblehead Peninsula and lit in 1822 with 13 whale oil lamps to guide approaching vessels on Lake Erie. A single kerosene lamp using a Fresnel lens replaced the whale oil lamps in 1858. Another 15 feet were added to the tower around 1900 and the light upgraded to electric in 1923. It was automated in 1928. In 2012 an LED light was installed. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has owned the facility and surrounding property since 1998 as the U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the light. The Marblehead lighthouse is the oldest continuously operating light on the Great Lakes.
A Giclee Print is available of this watercolor painting / lighthouse art > Details & Overview Here. (Note: this print is an odd size)