Fairport West Breakwater Lighthouse . Lake Erie . Ohio . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the West Breakwater Lighthouse at Fairport Harbor, on Lake Erie, was built in 1925 near the end of a 1,000-foot stone jetty, off what is now known as the Headlands Beach State Park. This light replaced the former Fairport Harbor (Grandon) Light, located on the opposite side of the Grand River outlet... which was then taken out of service and abandoned to disrepair. Eighty years later... in 2005, the US Coast Guard designated the West Breakwater Light as unnecessary and offered ownership of the facility to anyone qualified within the rules of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. Three defaulted purchases later, in 2011, the current new owner is presently restoring the lighthouse for private use as a residence. The original beacon and Fresnel lens has been replaced by a solar powered 4th order light, that continues to mark the inlet.