Stony Point Lighthouse . Henderson Bay . Lake Ontario , New York . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... The western New York, Stony Point Lighthouse sitting within Henderson Bay on the eastern edge of Lake Ontario, at the entrance to Henderson Harbor, was first lit in 1869. The present, combination light tower and keeper's house was erected in 1945. The US Coast Guard declared the lighthouse surplus in 1960 and the structures and property were sold. The facility exchanged ownership several times until its acquisition in 2002 by the present owners, who were forced to completely gut the keeper's house in order to restore and preserve what remained of it. Only the light tower and lower portion of the keeper's house, exterior envelope is original. Currently the lighthouse is a privately owned residence and closed to the public. (Not to be confused with the much older Stony Point light located on the Hudson River in eastern New York.