Tarrytown Lighthouse . Hudson River . New York . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
...sometimes called the Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse... sometimes called the Kingsland Point Lighthouse... most often called the Tarrytown Lighthouse... this 60 foot tall, cylindrical, concrete, iron and steel lighthouse, built in 1883, once stood about a half mile out, at this location, off the east bank of the 3 mile wide Hudson River. Look up James Sanford Hulme's painting of this Tarryrown light, circa 1950's. Then, General Motors built a truck assembly plant on that east bank and began to fill the river until the shore line was moved to within 100 feet of the light. Two years later... 1962... the Coast Guard deactivated the light. The GM plant is gone now and the Tarrytown Lighthouse sits in a forlorn position behind the monolithic, concrete remnant of an industrial embankment. Tarrytown Lighthouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.