Point Judith Lighthouse . Narragansett Bay . Rhode Island . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
...the first official light on Point Judith was a wood tower erected 1810. That tower was destroyed by a storm in 1815. The second, a stone tower built in 1816 lasted until it slowly deteriorated and a third was necessary... which is the current 65-foot tall, tapered, octagonal, brownstone granite, structure erected in 1857. Pieces of the previous (2nd) tower's date stone of 1816, are included in the present light tower. This tower also had an attached, seven room, brick keeper's house, which has not survived. The nearby, two and a half story, Coast Guard building was constructed in 1937. Point Judith Lighthouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.