Pointe a la Renommee Lighthouse . Gaspe Peninsula . Quebec . Canada . Watercolor . 12" x 16"
... the lighthouse at Pointe a la Renommee, is located at the bottom of a winding dirt road, on a ledge, midway between the broad waters, where the mouth of the St. Lawrence River opens into the Gulf of St. Lawrence, far below... and the top of a small mountain... on the rugged northern coast of the Gaspe Peninsula. The first light and keeper's house at Point Renommee, an all-wood, integrated structure, was built in 1880. In 1907 this cylindrical steel light tower, with a massive first order Fresnel lens, was erected adjacent to the original all wood facility. In 1927 the wooden lighthouse was demolished and replaced by another frame keeper's house directly attached to the red steel tower. This lighthouse served faithfully until 1975 when deactivated and offered to the Gaspe Historical Society... which declined to take possession. The abandoned facility was soon vandalized, and in 1981 the steel tower was removed and put on display along the waterfront in Quebec City... and the keeper's house was razed. Subsequently... Local fishing communities organized and raised enough funding to reclaim and return the tower to it's original Pointe a la Renommee location in 1997... and build the present day reconstructions of the 2nd keeper's house and the Marconi telegraph building. Presently the facility serves as a Canadian maritime interpretive center.