La Martre Lighthouse . Gaspe Peninsula . Quebec . Canada . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the 132 Highway hangs on and runs along the coast of the Gaspe Peninsula and that road takes a lot of abuse from some very harsh weather. The Province of Quebec spends a lot of time and energy to maintain that road. Sitting high above that road on one of the corners between Cap Chat Light and the light at Cap de la Madeleine... is the village of La Martre... and facing the sea and that weather, stands the immaculate La Martre Lighthouse. An earlier light with an attached keeper's house, was built on this site, overlooking the Gulf of St. Lawrence, in 1876. This, the current 63-foot, wooden, octagonal light tower was built in 1906. It is painted a solid red color with one, full white, vertical panel facing the Gulf. A new, stand alone, keeper's house was built in 1957 and the old keeper's house was removed. The new house is also painted red; as is the separate fog alarm building. The light tower with it's third-order Fresnel lens and original timing system remain in operation. The fog alarm building is a museum and the keeper's house serves as the Town Hall. La Martre Lighthouse was declared a Recognized Federal Heritage Building in 1988.