Cap d'Espoir Lighthouse . Gaspe Peninsula . Quebec . Canada . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... situated on the north entrance of Chaleur Bay, on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence... and phonetically butchered from the French "Cape of Hope"... Cap d'Espoir became known as the Cape of Despair for the English, who lost a good portion of their naval force offshore here... wrecked under the command of Sir Hovenden Walker on his way to attack Quebec in 1711. A tapered square, wooden light tower was erected at 42-feet in height and first lit in 1874. Enlarged living quarters were added in 1878 and an adjacent storage house and barn were constructed in 1895. In 1939, this 46-foot, octagonal concrete tower was built to replace the wooden tower. The Cap d'Espoir Lighthouse remains an active Canadian Coast Guard facility, the keeper's house is now privately owned and an ancillary building or two is gone.