Cape Lookout Lighthouse . Outer Banks . North Carolina . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the first Cape Lookout Lighthouse, a 96 foot tall, brick and wood tower was erected in 1812 as part of a string of lights located along the Outer Banks of North Carolina. By 1850, this tower was both deteriorated and under considerable threat of toppling from erosion. In 1859 a new, 163 foot tall tower was built of red brick and lit. The new tower was damaged twice during the Civil War, but not destroyed. The Keeper's House was added in 1873 s well as the Cape Lookout Light's distinctive black & white, diamond pattern, paint job. Cape Lookout and the lighthouse is owned and managed by the National Park Service since 2003.