Boca Grande Entrance Rear Range Lighthouse . Gasparilla Island . Florida . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the Boca Grande Entrance Rear Range Lighthouse, or Gasparilla Island Light, is a 58 foot tall, steel skeleton tower erected in 1966. It was built in 1881 by the Phoenix Iron Company, of Trenton, New Jersey, as the Delaware Breakwater Rear Range Light in Lewes, Delaware. As the shoreline changed in Delaware, the light became irrelevant and was deactivated and removed in 1921. The tower was relocated to Florida and sent to Gasparilla Island in 1927 to replace the original Gasparilla Island Light Station... reassembled and painted white and lit in 1932.