Cape Arago Lighthouse . Chief's Island . Coos Bay . Oregon . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the first lighthouse on the Oregon coast was built in 1856 near the mouth of the Umpqua River and it collapsed in 1863. The first lighthouse at Cape Arago was built on Chief's Island in Coos Bay, on land taken from the Coos Indians, and lit in 1866. Several bridges connecting the island with the mainland were built and destroyed before a more robust example was strung across the narrows. Keeper's dwellings and auxiliary buildings were built and lost between 1878 and 1957. The existing lighthouse is the 3rd light structure on the island... the first and 2nd, being razed in 1936 and 1960, respectively. The Coast Guard deactivated the light in 2005 and in 2013 the island was returned to the Confederated Tribes of the Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians and the high bridge connecting the mainland to the lighthouse was removed. This lighthouse painting was commissioned by Bella Terra Publishing. Bella Terra Maps.