Veterinary Pair . Veterinary Quadrangle, West Philadelphia & Allam House, Kennett Square . watercolor . 12" x 16"
... The Philadelphia architectural firm of Walter Cope & John Stewardson designed the 2nd veterinary school and hospital for the University of Pennsylvania, built 1912 in West Philadelphia... and now known as the Veterinary Medicine Old Quadrangle. This is the arched, gated, entryway that was the main entrance off 39th Street, leading into an open courtyard used in the treatment and care of horses. The design follows the same Collegiate Gothic style the firm pioneered with Radnor Hall at Bryn Mawr College in 1886 and then the Museum, Law School Building, Towne Building and Quadrangle Dormitories at Penn between 1895 and 1905. Cope & Stewardson with the addition of Stewardson's brother, Emlyn, designed 4 other buildings at Penn between 1908 and 1911.
... The Manor House at New Bolton Center, the University's large animal veterinary complex near Kennett Square, was originally built on a settlement acquired through a William Penn land grant to Caleb Pusey, as South Brook Farm in roughly, 1710-1717. Alterations & additions to the home were performed in 1940 under the direction of Philadelphia Architect, R. Brognard Okie, for new owners Mr. & Mrs. Charles A. Higgins. The University of Pennsylvania acquired the South Brook Farm in 1958. The Manor House was renamed for Dr. Mark W. Allam, the 8th Dean of the School of Veterinary Medicine, following his death in 1973. The Allam House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.