Seacow Head Lighthouse . Prince Edward Island . Canada . Watercolor . 12" x 9"
... the Sea Cow is an extinct marine mammal, once found around the Bering Sea in the Northern Pacific and similar in appearance to a very large, present day, manatee. Over years... the name "sea cow" has also been applied to other aquatic animals, such as the still surviving, and actual manatee and the walrus. Apparently... the walrus population was extensive and extremely common on Prince Edward Island in the late Eighteen Hundreds... hence the origin of this lighthouse name. In 1865, this 60-foot tall, clap-board sided, wooden tower was erected near Summerside Harbour. A keeper's house was built nearby in 1880. The original lamp lighting was replaced by the existing iron lantern room in 1902, and in 1906, a 4th order Fresnel lens was installed. The light was automated in 1959, the keeper's residence removed in 1960... and in 1979, the tower was moved inland to escape an encroaching coast line. Seacow Head Lighthouse became a Prince Edward Island Provincial Designated Heritage Place in 2012.