Montauk Point Light . Turtle Hill . Long Island . New York . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... New York's Montauk Point Lighthouse, built in 1796, is the 4th oldest navigation light tower in the United States. This tapered, octagonal sandstone citadel, was originally constructed at seventy-eight-feet, with 7-foot thick walls at its base, built over top a 13-foot deep foundation. A large brick Keeper's house was added in 1837 and earlier wooden residence buildings converted for ancillary use. The tower received a vertical extension in 1860, raising elevation to its present 110-foot height. In 1942, an adjacent concrete tower was erected as a "Fire Control Center" for the nearby, costal defense batteries and bases at Fort Hero and Fort Pond Bay. These military facilities were abandoned in 1949. A succession of luminary upgrades to the Montauk Light preceded automation in 1987 and installation of state-of-art optics. In the same year, a lease arranged between the Coast Guard, which had control of the light since 1946, and the Montauk Historical Society, precipitated a thorough repair and restorations to the keeper's house, the light tower, facilities and grounds. Montauk Point Light was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2012.