| Wood Islands Lighthouse . Prince Edward Island . Canada . Watercolor . 12" x 16"
... the Wood Islands Lighthouse (Port Woods Lighthouse) was completed and lit in November of 1876. This lighthouse, located at the southern most point
of Prince Edward Island... is a welcoming beacon for all manner of ships and the ferry between Port Woods and the Nova Scotia mainland. Ownership of the
facility was transfered from the Coast Guard to the Wood Islands Area Development Corporation in the 1980's and opened to the public for tours with a gift shop.
In 2009 the entire structure was moved 230 feet inland to escape the unrelenting onslaught of Northumberland Straight erosion. There are two smaller range
tower, light buildings located along a pair of stone jetties marking the channel into the protected ferry slip. One is a short tapered square light tower and the
other is a shed like building with a cupola light. This is how the main Port Woods Lighthouse looks in 2012.