Cape Forchu Lighthouse . Yarmouth . Nova Scotia . Canada . Watercolor . 12" x 16"
... In 1840, when Cape Forchu Lightstation... the first, was built... Cape Forchu was an island at the mouth of Yarmouth Harbor and the light was atop a 60-foot tall, tapered, octagonal wooden tower. A large, duplex wood frame keeper's house was soon built adjacent to the tower. A breakwater connecting the island to the mainland was built in 1873 and replaced by a more servicable causeway in 1949. A 2nd-order Fresnel lens replaced the original 10-lamp illumination in 1908. By 1961 the old wooden tower was sufficiently aged and a new structure was designed and erected in its place. The new tower is a 75-foot concrete shaft and the prototype for the Canadian Maritimes' "apple core" A/E design. The original keeper's house survives. Cape Forchu Lightstation was designated as a Registered Heritage Property by the Province of Nova Scotia in 2003.
This is how she looked, late afternoon... an October, 2016 roadtrip.