... Hillsboro Inlet is named after the Earl of Hillsborough, formerly England's Secretary of State to the Colonies in the Americas... from 1768 to 1772. This 137-foot-tall skeleton tower, with a 2nd order Fresnel lens, was erected north of the inlet and first lit in 1907. The tower came perilously close to destruction during a hurricane in 1936 and the keepers house was destroyed in a 1947 hurricane. The light was electrified in 1932 and the Fresnel rebuilt twice; once in 1999 and again in 2000. Operations of the lighthouse are maintained by the Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society. Presently, the Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse is surrounded by a pompous, gated and guarded community and inaccessible to visitors. One may get this look at it from a park, located across the inlet. Bring binoculars... or maybe a boat.