Cape Flattery Lighthouse . Tatoosh Island . Washington . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... Captain James Cook, an Englishman, discovered and named Cape Flattery, located along the Olympic Peninsula in 1778. As this most northwestern tip of the United States became populated by the new Americans, a navigation light was erected on Tatoosh Island in 1857, a small rock island taken from the Makah Indians, that had not been purchased previously from these indigenous people and was conveniently situated within the adjacent waters. A keeper's house was built around the base of the 66-foot, conical brick tower, so that the keeper could service the light without leaving the building under adverse conditions. A Louis Sautter lens, originally ordered for the Point Loma Lighthouse, was installed and produced a fixed white light at 162 feet above sea level. In 1874 a new duplex, a larger keeper's house, was built along side the existing structure, which was subsequently rehabilitated in 1894. A 4th-order Fresnel lens was installed in 1932 and replaced by a beacon in 1996. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 2009 and the island returned to the Makah Tribe of Neah Bay, Washington. The Cape Flattery Lighthouse remains, but the majority of ancillary buildings, built during its active period, are deteriorating or gone. This lighthouse painting was commissioned by Bella Terra Publishing. Bella Terra Maps.