Yaquina Head Lighthouse . Newport . Oregon . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the luminary apparatus of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, originally called the Cape Foulweather Lighthouse, was built in Paris, France in 1868, shipped to Oregon, assembled and lit in 1873. It sits on top of a concrete over brick, conical tower, standing 93 feet tall, marking the discharge of the Yaquina River into the Pacific Ocean. A two-story keeper's residence was constructed in 1923, followed shortly thereafter buy a second, one-story keeper’s building. In 1938, a newer one-story residence replaced the first building, which lasted until 1984... when all the keeper's houses and ancillary structures were demolished. The original 1868, 1st order, Fresnel lens continues to illuminate the night sky; however, in 1933 the source of this light was converted from oil to electricity... and automated in 1966. The Yaquina Head Lighthouse joined the list of U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1993.